I know, I know ... I'm not quite as consistent as my previous posts may have implied. I have been caught up in just being home. I will speak for myself in saying that I have had a great time. Judging by the photos I suppose it looks like all we have done is eat but that isn't entirely true either. I don't know that we have done anything monumental but it has been fun never the less. Lets recap since my last post ...
Allyson and I stopped at an Indian casino somewhere in the middle of Oklahoma, each with $20 in hand ... I left with $24.01 and Allyson left with me.
I think Ally may have mentioned our stop in OK City and our not so great meal at In The Raw. The evening did end on a nice note as a little "mis-direction" by Maggie landed us on Route 66 for a stretch. Ally may never know how close she came to losing her life after she repeated, "We are on Route 66," for the 17th time. We pushed through the remainder of Oklahoma and Texas and into New Mexico where we stopped for the night. A shower and restful sleep had become a necessity at that point and I received no complaints from my traveling companion.
Wednesday morning came too quickly but we were both anxious to get on the road and into Albuquerque for some last minute Christmas to-do's and um .. food. Sophia's had been visited by Guy Feiri of Diner's, Drive-in's, and Dives so we had to find it along with a MAC counter for Allyson's make-up necessities. I was all too eager to swap my sanity for the prospect of great food. Sad to think I would endure Christmas Mall hell for a shrimp and avocado quesadilla. Maybe I do have a problem. I did find a great scarf and convertible mittens for my little brothers new girlfriend. SCORE! Albuquerque proved to be very beautiful and I think it may have moved into my top ten places I may potentially like to live someday.
After a day of doing little or no driving I loaded up the cooler with Red Bull and I was ready for the looooong haul. We found ourselves in Flagstaff, Arizona at about 10:30 P.M. Wednesday and we decided to make our way to another Hampton Inn and call it a night. The Weather Channel had little or nothing positive to say about the front coming our way but I paid them no mind and set out on foot for ice cream. Allyson and her need for ice cream require the fortitude of the United States Postal Service ... wind, rain, sleet, snow, etc.
Thursday morning, Christmas Eve, required no distractions. We had one objective and that was to pull into my Mother's driveway before dinner. On the road by 7 A.M. and braving the -6 degrees outside. It was absolutely breathe taking. I will be forever grateful to have had the chance to take this trip with Allyson and see so much. I think it is also a reminder that if you can be in close quarters with someone for that long you can work through anything with them.
Alas, after 11 hours, we reached our destination in time and we haven't stopped since.
For now I will sign off but I promise to post more pictures and write again this evening before we say goodbye to 2009 and hello to a new decade and all it's possibilities.

No comments:
Post a Comment