Saturday, May 15, 2010

Life has the most interesting twists and turns


I guess when I think about it, Allyson and I really only "dated" for a short period of time. Trips to Lowes for toggle bolts, picking up the children from school, soccer games and theater rehearsals really is a stretch for dating by it's strictest definition. We spent a great deal of time together considering all the things that needed to be accomplished on a daily.

On one such outing while driving to one of the aforementioned tasks and past the Knight's Inn in Albany, Ally turned to me and in her sultry southern drawl she said, "If you act right, I'll take you to the Knight's Inn." To say that I nearly p'd myself laughing is an understatement. For those of you that are not from the greater Albany area you've all got a Knights Inn. Whether it is called the Cinderella, The Wiebe, or the Hitching Post, they are all the same.

Now the twist ... It's 7 A.M. and Allyson and I are sitting in RM. 202 of the Knights Inn. Voluntarily. Ally is doing hair for a three day Indian wedding and the brides family owns the Inn. I'm having to really watch my tongue and keep the seedy motel jokes to myself. No easy task.

I have never actually attended an Indian wedding but anything that lasts three days has got to be good. Why would you stretch something on so long if it sucked? As I sit and click away at the keys the mother of the bride is having her make-up finished but she is calm and collected as her daughters ask questions about the days events. She doesn't look old enough to be the mother of a bride. Her Saree is absolutely beautiful ... worth every moment of the seven week that was spent in India searching for the perfect ones. Every gown compliments each of the women perfectly. I think most of what I notice is that everyone is happy despite the hour and the fact that seven hundred people are waiting for the days events. SEVEN HUNDRED! The bride is to my left and from where I am sitting I can see the intricate beading and the silk fabric. I'm excited for Ally to finish pinning her curls so I can see her entire gown.

What I find most comforting about this whole experience is the certainty. With thousands of years of tradition on your side I guess it's all pretty much been done. I'm guess this is the first time, at least in this families lineage, that a lesbian and her girlfriend were a part of the mix.


No comments:

Post a Comment