Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Pilgrimage to the Rocky Mountains

I think this may be the first time that I have "stopped" since, Monday the 20th. All good stuff but intense, to say the least. So, here I sit, in Golden, Co. typing away from the comfort of my Hampton Inn bed. The weather outside is crisp but not too cold. About 20 degrees warmer than home according to reports and I am a happy goose.

The drive was not too bad. Our first day started a little later than we expected, surprise, surprise. We made Ft. Smith, Ar., at 1230 EST. We got checked in and we were both out the instant our heads hit the pillow. Rather uneventful for the most part. Yesterday started about 9, again, and according to Magy we had about 14 hours ahead of us. We reached Wichita just before 2 PM and decided to find something yummy to eat. A quick Google search at the Starbucks just off the interstate revealed a tiny hole in the wall place about 5 miles from where we were. I have just four words to describe Le Monde, OUT OF THIS WORLD. Allyson decided on the lamb shank and I, the gyro. The floor was dirty, the tables were crooked, the plates were chipped but the food was incredible and the tab with under $30 for us both. Can't say enough about it. If you ever find yourself in Wichita, you need to find yourself at La Monde.

This is our first major road trip with Napoleon. He was amazing in the car. I had no idea how much the little monster would add to the drive, like a kid full of wonder but without the incessant, "Are we there yet?". Don't get me wrong, I love to travel with my kids, I really enjoy showing them new things and discovering things as a family but sometimes a girl needs a breather. Truth be told, he slept most the way but he is a great lap warmer and always good for a laugh. He rather enjoyed his bone from Allyson's lunch so you can say he is now an asphalt foodie like his Mama and Son Son. Now for another truth, the hotel doesn't allow pets so we have had to smuggle him in and out twice for "outside" time. I had to clear out my duffel and stuff him inside. (I always get a good chuckle when I unzip the bag and his head pops out ... hysterical. In fact, I'll try to catch it on the flip tonight.) I decided that it was less conspicuous than the zebra print blanket that Carla bought Allyson for this trip. Middle of the night, shuffling along in your slippers, hugging a fuzzy blanket, is believable. Middle of the day, dressed and ready to go out .... not so sneaky. So far, so good. Hopefully he will continue to be cooperative and we will be able to say we weren't thrown out of our room.

Not sure what today holds. Maybe Boulder, maybe not. I can almost promise good food and would bet the farm on good times with great friends. My post tomorrow may be a little late depending on how good of a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment